Monday 9 March 2015

What is poverty?

What is poverty?

Sometimes I cry when I’m alone
These tears I cry are bitter and warm
I cry because my heart is broken inside
I cry because I find it hard to carry on.
If I had an ear to confide in I would cry on

The world moves so fast and it would rather pass by
than stop and see what makes one cry so painful
In the midst of my calamity all my hope
Is gone

We see them in t.v. wearing expensive suits
with beautiful sharp nosed shoes
-proclaiming poverty
But they can’t even define it

Having lot of hunger and having no foods
Not having spare clothes- take a bath that’s poverty.
- take a bath that’s poverty.
Yes needing for shelter but not having one
Child is sick but the parents cannot afford to buy treatment.
Indeed sitting with umbrella on a wedding bed during showering nights
An ill deserted mother selling her child, wishing it will survive- that’s poverty

A defeated and desperate mother poisoning and killing a child
Sharing the same water with cows and donkeys
Thoughtful mother, two mouthfuls rice and three children
That’s poverty
Like David said “We lift up our eyes
To the mountains, where our help comes from”
Nobody is left but only you, God
Be our prayer as we proclaim ‘LET IT BE’

Let the hand that greets be the hand that feeds
Let the hand of salvation be the hand that ends starvation
Let those who can’t see me have time to feed me
Let all who wake up to find work, see what life is worth
Let every hand of a Christian touch a hungry child
Deeper
Let my soul rest in a place where there is peace,

Love, joy and happiness

Pogiso 

3 comments:

  1. thank you Ruth for sharing with us. Please pass on our love and prayers to the team. Do hope you have some time to rest at mercy Air before coming home to us all, we are praying for you today. every blessing, Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Ruth for sharing with us. Please pass on our love and prayers to the team. Do hope you have some time to rest at mercy Air before coming home to us all, we are praying for you today. every blessing, Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you FRFP team for these wonderful insight and reflections and for daring to take this adventure of faith. Blessings to Pogiso and Kgowe as you readjust to Matlosane life and to the others returning to Lichfield!

    ReplyDelete